Notes


Matches 951 to 965 of 965

      «Prev «1 ... 16 17 18 19 20

 #   Notes   Linked to 
951 [Hill.FBC 5.FBK.FTW]

NEWPORT or ST JOHN'S NEWPORT
RC Parish: Newport/Birdhill
Diocese: Cashel & Emly
Start: b. 1785 m.1795
d. 1813
Place Local Parish /NLI /Tipp. North Centre/Tipp. Heritage Unit
1837 a post-town, in the parish of Kilvolane, barony of Owney and Arra, county of Tipperary, and province of Munster, 8 miles E. from Limerick, and 86 miles S.W. from Dublin, on the road to Limerick; containing 852 inhabitants, The town is pleasantly situated on a considerable stream that falls into the river at Castle Troy, near Mount Shannon, a little below the village of Anacotty; and contains 163 houses, most of which are neatly built. It is the property of Sir Edmund Waller, Bart., whose seat, Castle Waller, is in the immediate vicinity. There are barracks for two companies of infantry, to which purpose the buildings of the old charter school have been appropriated. Fairs are held on April 27th, May 29th, July 21st, and Oct. 23rd, which last is a very large fair for bullocks; a constabulary police force is stationed in the town, and petty sessions are held every Tuesday. The environs are pleasant, and in the vicinity are several handsome seats, which are noticed in the parishes within which they are situated. The parish church, situated in the town, is a neat edifice, to which a handsome octagonal tower was added in 1823, and towards the erection of which the late Board of First Fruits contributed a gift of 410 pounds: it contains a handsome monument, erected in 1825, by Lady Waller, to her late husband, Sir Robert Waller, Bart. There is also a Roman Catholic chapel, a neat edifice; and in the barrack-yard is a school, to the support of which the Incorporated Society grants 20 per annum, and the rector and Lady Waller present a donation of 10 each; there is also a dispensary. The horns of a moose deer were found here in 1826. Newport gives the inferior title of baron in the peerage of Ireland to the Earl of Roden. 
MOORE, Cathrine (I1873)
 
952 [Hill.FBC 5.FBK.FTW]

no issue 
CRANE, Adele (I1798)
 
953 [Hill.FBC 5.FBK.FTW]

RN died at sea 
WALLER, Richard (I1808)
 
954 [Hill.FBC 5.FBK.FTW]

Royal Irish Fusiliers Regimental Band, Tipperary Town Barracks, 1914 (County Museum, Clonmel)

The Royal Irish Fusiliers' regimental number is 87. The first regiment to be given this number was raised in 1759 and served until 1763. It was the Highland corps - the 87th. (Highland) Regiment of Foot, known informally as "Keith's Highlanders", after the Clan name of its founder. Another regiment given the number 87 served from 1779 to 1783.
The third 87th. Regiment was raised by Colonel Sir John Doyle in Ireland in 1793. It was called The Prince of Wales's Irish Regiment of Foot, and on arrival in their barracks at Portsmouth, England in 1794 the men were described by an English newspaper as "brave, hearty boys, mostly armed with Shelalehs" (meaning "shileleaghs", the Irish long cudgel, traditionally made from a branch of the blackthorn tree).

Most of this regiment was taken prisoner at Bergen-Op-Zoom in 1795, and a new regiment was raised in England and then sent to The West Indies. The troops then returned to England and went to The Cape in South Africa in 1810, saw 5 years service on the island of Mauritius and then went to India in 1815.

A 2nd. Battalion of the 87th. was raised in Ireland by Sir Charles Doyle in 1804. This Charles was the son of the Regiment's original Commanding Officer, Colonel Sir John Doyle. Both Battalions of the Regiment went to Portugal in1809 and took part in The Penisular War. It took part in battles at Oporto, and at Talvera and fought a defensive action at Cadiz. The Regiment's casualties at Talavera were 40%.

The 2nd. Battalion of The 87th. gained great honour for its valiant action at the Battle of Barrosa, when under the command of Hugh Gough. It is probable that Hugh Gough was of the Gough family from Clonmel, County Tipperary whose later generations also became famed for their gallantry. This family has the distinction of being the only one whose members include 3 men who were awarded The Victoria Cross - Britains highest award for bravery. [SEE THE MEDALS PAGE OF THIS WEBSITE, VIA THE MAIN INDEX.]

Other Battle Honours of The 87th. from The Peninsular War include Tarifa, Vittoria, Bidarossa, Nivelle, Othez and Toulouse. The 2nd.Battalion of The 87th. was disbanded in 1817. 
WALLER, Kilner (I1856)
 
955 [Hill.FBC 5.FBK.FTW]

she was the mother of the first Lord Bloomfield. 
WALLER, Charlotte (I1876)
 
956 [Hill.FBC 5.FBK.FTW]

Sheriff of Limerick 
WALLER, George (I1826)
 
957 [Hill.FBC 5.FBK.FTW]

srd Bat of Castleconnell 
DE BURGHO, Sir John Allen (I1930)
 
958 [Hill.FBC 5.FBK.FTW]

They had 6 children and along with their parents,drowned in the wreck of "the Dunbar" at the Gap .Sydney Heads

On the night of Thursday 20 August 1857, the clipper Dunbar approached the heads of Sydney Harbour after a voyage of 81 days from England. Launched in 1853, the vessel was owned by Duncan Dunbar, and was the sister ship of the Phoebe Dunbar, the Dunbar Castle and the Duncan Dunbar. It was under the command of Captain Green and was on its second voyage to Sydney. Despite the treacherous weather conditions on the night, Captain Green and his crew attempted to enter Sydney Harbour that evening, rather than wait until morning.

The Dunbar was driven into the reef at the foot of South Head and began to break up immediately. In the hours that followed, all but one of the passengers and crew perished. The sole survivor, able seaman James Johnson clung to a ledge on the cliff face until he was rescued on the morning of 22 August, some 36 hours after the Dunbar ran aground.

When news of the wreck reached Sydney the following day, it immediately captured the attention of the public. In the days following, the media provided extensive coverage of the search for survivors and victims, and the progress of the inquest was chronicled daily. Residents were drawn to the scene for the morbid task of identifying friends, relatives and business associates. Still only a relatively small town, Sydney was staggered by the enormity and proximity of the tragedy.

A mass funeral for those who died and who, in most cases, could not be identified was held on 24 September. The interments took place at St. Stephen's Cemetery, Camperdown where there is still a monument to the victims. 
WALLER, Kilner (I1866)
 
959 [Hill.FBC 5.FBK.FTW]

Was A Colonel in the Bengal Horse

The middle brother, Robert (1808-1877), went off to be a soldier in the Bengal Army in India. Very successful he
was too. He earned fame commanding the 1 st Troop Bengal Horse Artillery (known as the Red Devils because of
their Roman type helmets surmounted by a long red horsehair plume) in the 1 st Afghan War (1839-1842) and retired as a Colonel.
This unit was part of the Kabul garrison which tried to retreat to India and was, apart from one
wounded and exhausted doctor who along reached Jalalabad, southeast of Kabul, totally annihilated in the
mountains short of the Khyber Pass.
Robert himself was very severely wounded in an early action, but his troop
particularly distinguished themselves at the battle of Jagdallak (1841) where they acted as rearguard to let the rest of the force get away, fighting and dying to the last man. Robert was lucky; expecting to die, he was surrendered as a hostage together with his heavily pregnant wife and baby daughter, but survived in captivity near Kabul until rescued a year later. On their way back to Kabul a second daughter was born in a tiny fort guarding the gorge of theTazeena River. The baby was given the name Tazeena, which has been used in the family several times since as a Girls Name.

service Ist afghan war 1839 -1842
Sutlej Campaign( Battle of Sobroan 1846,despatches,,Brevet Major)
Punjab Campaign 1848 - 1849 ( recieved thanks of the Govern General)
Mohmand Expdn 1851 -1858 
WALLER, Colonel Robert (I1806)
 
960 [Hill.FBC 5.FBK.FTW]

William Thomas married Eliza Guinness, a granddaughter of Arthur Guinness, founder of the brewing family. The lady did not meet with the approval of his mother who had been left the contents of the house and she moved out before the wedding to live with her daughter Elizabeth, who had married a Hutchinson of Timoney. She took with her such of the contents of the house including the silver and glass, as had not already gone in the girl's dowry. Undeterred, Eliza bred four sons who all became prominent n the neighborhood. The eldest, George Arthur (1835-1923) was the ablest and most interesting of the Prior Park Wallers, although neither he nor his brothers ever lived Prior Park after their youth. Arthur, after graduating at Trinity College, Dublin, joined his cousins' firm of Arthur Guinness Ltd. and quickly rose to be both Chief Engineer and Chief Brewer. Knowing that the barley grown along the east bank of the Shannon was particularly suited to make malt for porter, he set up two of his brothers as barley buyers and maltsters; Robert (1837-1915) at Nenagh, and Francis Albert (1846-1892) at Banagher. The fourth brother Edmund (1839-1894) also joined the Guinness Brewery where, for some years, he was in charge of the extensive horse transport department. These ventures were successful and although later on the Nenagh maltings were sold, F.A. Waller Ltd. Of Banagher still exists. Its malting business recently combined with that of D.E.Williams of Tullamore as Williams-Waller Ltd. This firm, the second largest maltster in Ireland, still supplies a sizeable proportion of the Guinness malt requirement. 
WALLER, William Thomas (I1807)
 
961 At least one living or private individual is linked to this note - Details withheld. HILL, Robert Bruce (I1675)
 
962 At least one living or private individual is linked to this note - Details withheld. CONDIE, Irene (I2854)
 
963 “John Ford was a builder and ? the Queen’s Tax Collector in Lambeth. He had a large family.” FORD, John (I448)
 
964 “married a Capt in the army who was awarded the George Cross. He was an architect.” Antonia Waller HATT, Kathleen Matilda (I5307)
 
965 “Ommaney” on father’s death cert.: presumably this name was given by his mother, Elizabeth Peters, nee Knight when she gave the details of her family to the recording officer.

“Ormsby” - Mary Alice Ormsby married Edmund Henry Pery, Ist Earl of Limerick
One of her descendants, H V Pery married the Annie, the sister of Emily Peters nee Hooper

no marriage cert in NSW, not married on death cert
1903 census; 221 1/2 Castlereagh St Sydney; watchman
In his sister-in-law's (Emily Peters) letter to her son Ernest in South Africa, she said he had been charged with stealing at about midnight one night. The tone of her letter indicates he was not someone they wished to be associated with. His brother James bailed him out and paid for a lawyer to get him off "for the sake of the family".
Died aged 78 of "Auricular Fibrillation" in State Home at Lidcombe. Stated on death cert to be normally resident in Paddington. Mother stated to be Lily Chambers and place of birth Manly on death cert. No relatives at burial. Looks like a pauper's burial.
of Castlereagh St, Sydney 1903; d cert 22110 
PETERS, Keith Ormsby (I293)
 

      «Prev «1 ... 16 17 18 19 20

Home Page |  What's New |  Most Wanted |  Surnames |  Photos |  Histories |  Documents |  Cemeteries |  Places |  Dates |  Reports |  Sources